myxcents

Cultural tidbits and such

12.01.2005

THE KEEPER: THE LEGEND OF OMAR KHAYYAM

I only read a short blurb before seeing this film, so I didn't really know what to expect. I found the story engaging and the characters realistic, but not very developed. The depth was in the story and subsequent discussion, about knowing and continuing your ethnic/racial heritage.

The director was there in person and the questions and answers made me think more deeply about the film. I still need to think more about it before I "rate" it, but what was neat is how the film/discussion related to issues raised at lectures I've attended: one a few weeks ago and one just today. Particularly about the way religion is revered in society even though some horrible tragedies have occured because of religion or religous differences. There were also issues of identity (beyong just the heritage) that gave me something to think about as I try to really figure out who I am and if that is who I want to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home